Support Us / Volunteer Opportunities
All volunteer initiatives are based on the needs and availability of The Children's Home staff and our residents. If you are interested in any of the following opportunities please contact Laura at 609-267-1550 ext. 175 or LauraA@chbc.org. Serious inquiries only please.
Volunteer Opportunities for GROUPS:
- Spring or fall planting/clean-up, painting, fundraising event support, arts/crafts projects with kids, etc.
- Projects are to take place on or off The Children's Home Mt. Holly campus
- Projects will be supervised and managed by The Children's Home staff, and may or may not include
- interaction with our youth
- All volunteers must sign a Volunteer Confidentiality Sign In Sheet prior to start of project
For activities listed below, volunteers must:
- be at least 18 years of age
- provide documentation of credentials/skills set (resume, certificates, etc.)
- be fingerprinted, subject to a background check, and have a work-related physical (all at the expense of The Children's Home)
- participate in self-administered volunteer training (powerpoint slide show and survey)
- have own transportation
If working with at-risk youth, volunteers must also:
- be able to teach one or more at-risk youth per session, ages 10-18, with varying abilities and skill sets
- be able to tailor sessions to youth’s age, maturity, abilities & possibly gender
- submit a lesson plan to The Children's Home for each session at least a week in advance for approval
- be available for up to an hour during the following days/times:
-Monday - Thursday 6:00pm – 9:00pm
-Saturday or Sunday 9:00am – 1:00pm
Volunteer Opportunities for INDIVIDUALS to Work with At-Risk Youth:
Arts and Crafts
- Teach arts and crafts as an enjoyable hobby and creative means of self expression. Suggested craft mediums are paper, jewelry, wood, etc.
- Reinforce basic skills such as cutting, measuring, gluing, etc. Children may learn to use simple equipment such as pliers, glue guns, etc.
- Crafts may be one time projects or more complex projects requiring multiple sessions.
- All materials and supplies will be provided by The Children's Home.
- Teach basic acting skills and techniques
- Direct youth in putting on a performance based on learned skills and techniques
- This performance can be a series of skits, a short play or some other theatrical performance
- Classes are to be held weekly for up to 6 sessions, concluding with one performance for the friends, family and general public.
Yoga / Pilates Classes
- Teach theory and practice of yoga for beginners
- Instruction will include poses, relaxation and meditation, and foster self-awareness, confidence and control.
- Sessions are to be held once a week.
Administrative and Other Volunteer Opportunities for INDIVIDUALS:
School Library Assistant
- Organize books and supply/storage area and make classroom deliveries.
- Perform other tasks as needed.
- Days/times: regular school hours - depends on availability and need
- Assist with one or more of the following:
- Assist with solicitations of monetary and inkind support for The Children's Home
- Golf tournament planning, solicit support (sponsorships, golfers, underwriting, inkind, etc.), and event preparation, setup and execution
- Days/times: varies depending on activity, availability and need
- Microsoft Office software trainer
- -Oversee staff training sessions consisting of a series of Office Training CD's [MOUS]).
- Sessions take place 1-2 times monthly and consist of up to 8 individuals
- Assist with routine software installations/updates, basic PC hardware upgrades, network maintenance duties, database development, and internet and web site design/updates.
- Skills and training in these areas are highly desirable.
- Days/times: during regular business hours - depends on availability and need
- Register sales, stock shelves, organize merchandise, customer service, answer phone, assist donors/customers with loading/unloading items from cars, donation pick-ups using The Children's Home box truck and other tasks as needed.
- Days/times: thrift shop is open 7 days a week - a minimum of 5 volunteer hours per week is requested